Many industries are now collaborating with social media personalities to reach more audiences. Because of this opportunity, more people are aspiring to be a lifestyle influencer. You might think it’s an easy job, but being an influencer takes more than taking pretty pictures. It requires hard work, dedication, and passion to be successful in this field.
In this episode, Athena Ng shares her journey in becoming a fashion and lifestyle influencer. She also discusses the challenges and perks of being a social media personality, as well as the style and trends she loves.
If you want to know more about the world of social media influencers, this episode is for you.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Discover Athena’s style and how she manages her clothes.
- Learn more about the work it entails to be a fashion blogger.
- Athena will share how COVID-19 impacted her work as an influencer.
- Athena Ng’s Instagram page
- Athena Ng’s TikTok page
- Check out the items that have been crucial for my self-development here!
- Athena started blogging in 2016. In particular, she was obsessed with Xanga, a popular blogging site.
- Ever since she was young, she has shown great interest in fashion.
- Her social media career kicked off on Instagram. Athena says people prefer short content nowadays, like TikTok videos.
- She started building connections with brands and PR agencies after gaining a solid following. She does more backstage work than people might think.
Athena’s Focus on Fashion
- Athena’s content focuses more on fashion and beauty, specifically about day-to-day style.
- Although she prefers Instagram, she posts quick fashion videos on TikTok to gain more audience.
- People gravitate to Athena because she’s approachable. She wants to promote styles that people can wear every day, in contrast to what they often see in magazines.
How Athena Manages Her Clothes
- Athena does a lot of online shopping. She also sells her clothes online and uses rental websites.
- She believes in sustainable fashion. Some people are now starting to reject fast fashion as it contributes to the destruction of the environment.
Athena’s Personal Style
- When Athena started, she didn’t know yet the kind of styles she’s going to focus on. Eventually, she found her niche by meeting people and trying on as many clothes as she could.
- She’s a denim girl.
Working as a Fashion Blogger
- For Athena, Los Angeles is a wonderland. It brings many opportunities for influencers like her.
- Blogging is not just about taking good pictures. As a fashion blogger, she has to reach out to several PR agencies, build networks, and collaborate with many people in the fashion industry.
Challenges in the Fashion Industry
- Athena would sometimes feel discouraged by the competitive nature of the industry.
- One of the bright sides to being an influencer is they work home a lot, so she wasn’t affected that much by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Being an influencer means you have to meet people, so having an outgoing personality helps.
Being a Social Media Influencer
- Athena didn’t plan to be an influencer. Still, she continues doing it because she likes meeting like-minded people and is passionate about fashion.
- Many companies have huge budgets for influencer marketing. Countries like China train and build programs for aspiring social media influencers.
- Athena is a self-taught influencer. She learns from the people she interacts with every day.
- There’s no right way to become a social media influencer because trends keep changing.
5 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
[4:25] “It’s not just about the pictures. People just get confused. I do a lot of backstage stuff. I wake up at seven or six every morning and deal email handling. That’s something that people don’t know. There’s a lot of backstage work.”
[14:28] “I think you just have to try everything to see which one you like.”
[18:11] “There’s always something going on in LA. There’s always events, gatherings, parties. You just have to expose yourself there.”
[22:00] “I think people like me and read my content because I am approachable, that they can wear or something that they can see on a daily basis, not just something on a magazine cover.”
[28:37] “I think that’s the best way to learn is by doing it and talking to people. And that’s the thing I most enjoy.”
Athena Ng is a Los Angeles-based fashion and lifestyle influencer. She is a social media personality with a loyal following on Instagram. Athena loves archiving her love of fashion, beauty, and lifestyle. So, in 2016, she gave blogging a shot.
Enjoy the Podcast?
Navigating the Rise highlights the unique identities of different Asian communities. If this podcast has helped you gain new perspectives on various cultural norms, don’t forget to subscribe and share it with people who can benefit from the discussion.
Love to give us 5 stars? If you enjoyed this podcast, we’d love to hear from you! Help us reach more audiences and provide answers to all your questions about Asian and Western cultures.
Do you want to help others become a lifestyle influencer? You can do it by simply sharing the things you’ve learned from this episode on social media!
As always, you can contact me here!